Pre / Post-Op Instructions
General Pre-Operative Check list
For your safety the following instructions must be followed as described below.
Prior to your surgery/procedure:
- Check with your primary care physician before stop taking any medications.
- For your surgery, you need to stoptaking the following medications prior to your surgery date: Aspirin; non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medications, such as Ibuprofen, Motrin, Advil, Aleve; Vitamin E; Fish oil; herbal products.
- Contact your physician, if there is any changes in your health.
Pre-fill any new prescriptions that your surgeon has prescribed.One Day prior to your surgery/procedure:
Shower the evening before your surgery/procedure using only anti-
bacterial soap such as Hibiclens or Dial. You may purchase these products at your pharmacy without prescription.
- Nothing to eat or drink after midnight.Day of your surgery/procedure:
- Arrive at the at .
- If you need to take a medication, you may do so with only small sip of water.
- You may brush your teeth without swallowing the water.
- If you have not taken the shower the night before, please shower using only anti-bacterial soap such as Hibiclens or Dial.
- Do not apply body lotion, powders, cologne or make-up.
- Remove all jewelry including body piercings and wedding rings.
- Remove wigs and hair accessories.
- Contact lenses may not be worn during your procedure. Please bring your case and solution to store them.
- Hearing aids, and dentures will be removed before the surgery. Be prepare to remove them, and bring your case for storage.
- Bring valid legal identification card, and all of your insurance cards.
- Leave all valuables at home. Bring only necessary payment amount for parking and hospital charges.
- Leave all medications at home. However, have a list of your medications including frequency and dosage.
- Arrange a ride home. You will not be allowed to drive, take a taxi/bus unless you are accompany with a responsible adult.
- Wear a comfortable loose-fitting clothes and comfortable shoes.
- If your surgery requires you to stay at the hospital after surgery, pack lightly and leave your bag/suitcase in your car until your room has been assigned.
Please arrive on time, and if you are delayed contact the at
Our surgeon may recommend a few specific post-operative instructions following spinal surgery. You should follow the instructions of the surgeon to aid in faster recovery with optimum results. The duration of hospitalization depends on the treatment rendered. The period of your rest or inactivity depends on a few factors such as the type of surgical procedure and the approach used to access your spine, the size of the incision and presence of any complications. Return to work or normal activity depends on the type of work or activity you plan to perform.
The instructions that you should follow after your surgery are as follows:
- Take medications as recommended by your doctor
- Keep your incision area clean and dry to promote wound healing
- Avoid smoking, driving, lifting heavy things, swimming or using a hot tub
- Follow the specific restriction of activity, as advised
- Start physical therapy as instructed by your doctor
- Schedule your follow up appointment with your doctor as advised.
Please consult your doctor immediately if you experience fever over 101° F or if the incision site shows signs of infection such as pain, redness, swelling, or increased drainage from the incision.